Long overdue: my half marathon experience

Remember that time I ran a half marathon? Because I barely do.

I really had the best intentions of writing up my experience running a half marathon, really I did. But then, life got in the way. Or rather, I let life get in the way. Which was the story of my life before the wedding. (More about that later.)

But it's time to talk about the half.



I finished in 2 hours and 23 minutes and some seconds (but I don't remember how many). It was faster than I thought I would be, but I also know I could have pushed myself harder at the start of the race for a better time.

What I would do differently:
1. Use energy sources throughout my training: I didn't train with gels or mid race snacks because it really isn't necessary for that distance. That being said, having done more research and after having talked to a bunch of runners about this I would try it for next time for an extra energy boost during the race.

2. More Bodyglide. Bodyglide (and similar products) are a runners best defense against chafing, which will certainly happen on a distance run. I chafed in a place I never had before, and now I know all the places I'd apply it and how much.

3. Keep up with my training schedule. I completed all of my long runs, but I didn't get in all of the shorter training runs throughout the week.

So how do I feel after? The truth is, I haven't run since the half. I developed a love of running while training for this race, but every time I think about going out I just...don't. And I really don't know why.

What I do know is that running that race was the hardest physical challenge I've ever attempted, and I am SO PROUD that I achieved my goal and finished the race. I learned a lot about myself during this process, and I'm grateful for the experience. Before this race I didn't know what I was capable of, but now I feel as though I could conquer anything. I can't wait to pick a new challenge to pursue, and hopefully soon I'll get back into some recreational running.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment