Turkey Spinach Sweet Potato Hash


I'm not even sure I can call this a recipe, it's almost more like a method to me. I call it a hash because I can't think of anything better :)

Turkey Spinach Sweet Potato Hash
serves 4
  • 1 lb ground meat (I usually use turkey, but chicken, pork, bison, etc would work)
  • Leafy greens (spinach is my favorite)
  • 2 sweet potatoes, cubed


I cube the sweet potatoes and either roast them (375 for 20 minutes, but WATCH those suckers they burn easily) or sauté them (steam for a few minutes until soft, then sauté in olive or coconut oil with seasoning). 

While the potatoes are cooking, brown the ground meat in a pan and cook through. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and whatever else sounds good. When it's almost cooked through, add in the greens and cook until wilted. 

Layer sweet potatoes and meat/spinach mixture and top as you like.

That's it! See what I mean? It's a method not a recipe, infinitely adaptable and nutritious. 

My favorite combinations:
Mexican
- season meat with cumin and chili powder, add in chopped bell peppers. Top with greek yogurt and salsa

My Standard
- season meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Top with greek yogurt and a little ketchup or sriracha. 

Breakfast Version
- Season meat with salt and pepper only, scramble a couple eggs in with it. Saute the sweet potatoes  with a dash of cinnamon. Top with greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup (trust me). I haven't tried it but I have a hunch diced apples cooked with the sweet potatoes would be amazing. 

Mushroom
- add in mushrooms while meat is cooking (they will take longer to cook than the greens). Top with diced swiss if you're feeling cheesy. 

BBQ
- season meat with salt, pepper, paprika, and add in one diced onion before the greens. Top with greek yogurt mixed with BBQ sauce and green onions. 

The possibilities are pretty much endless. As you can see, greek yogurt is essentially my personal Franks (I put that sh*t on everything!) because it's a great replacement for sour cream (my second favorite condiment) and it's packed with protein. 






Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment